Hybrid seminar on Cryptoassets, Securities and Mistakes
8th February 2022, 3:45 PM
Old Square Tax Chambers hosted its first hybrid seminar on the 8th of February 2022.
This seminar took place for the first time in the Ashworth Centre of Lincolns Inn.
15:45 – 16:13 Tea & Coffee
16:14: Zoom video will begin
16:15 – 16:50: Julian Hickey
Title: Relief for mistake: when will a court unwind a voluntary transfer in light of Bhaur & Others v Equity First Trustees (Nevis) Limited & Others  EWHC 2581 and other recent tax cases?
- What is a mistake?
- When can a voluntary disposition be set aside?
- When is the court likely to grant or refuse relief? Is relief available for tax planning?
- What are the tax consequences if relief is granted?
- How to make a claim for mistake.
16:50 – 17:25: Jon-Selous Borlace
Title: Bitcoin and other crypto assets – where are we now?: A discussion of the current law and guidance relating to the tax treatment of cryptoassets
- When will a crypto investor be ‘trading’ for tax purposes;
- Where are bitcoin and other cryptoassets situate for the purposes of CGT & IHT; and
- Related tax matters which arise from the world of crypto.
17:25 – 18:00: James Kessler QC
Title: Intermediated securities
- Other tax issues
18:00 – 18:15: Questions to the speakers
18:15 -20:00: Drinks
Please see the link below to the recording of the seminar.